Choosing Countertop Surfaces
You’ve got custom countertop questions – we’ve got answers.
How do I choose the surface that’s best for my home and my family?
Each natural stone and engineered surface has unique characteristics and maintenance requirements. Weigh the pros and cons of each with our comparison chart.
Why are some surface colors more expensive than others?
Surface prices are based on availability — the cost is higher when the supply is limited. The color and availability of the product determine the price.
Check out our free countertop shopping guide to help you decide which options best fit your home.
How does Preferred Surfaces differ from their competitors?
Will I see the seams in my countertop?
The natural stone industry standard is a 1/16 inch seam. There is a maximum lippage (amount one piece will protrude above another) of 3/32 of an inch — this is also industry standard. We seek to exceed these standards and make the seams in your countertop almost undetectable.
What region do you work in?
Preferred Surfaces works within a 150 mile radius of Morgantown, West Virginia, including:
- Elkins, WW
- Clarksburg, WV
- Bridgeport, WV
- Washington, PA
- Pittsburgh, PA
How long will the fabrication and installation take?
After you decide on the material and edging, we will visit your home to take precise measurements. After you have removed your old countertop, Preferred Surfaces will install your new surface in the same week, making the process quick and hassle-free.
Are you licensed and insured?
Yes. It is important to us to meet the highest business standards in our industry. We are licensed and insured — WV Contractor License #WV048639
How should I clean my new surface? How can I prevent damage?
- Clean stone surfaces with a few drops of neutral cleaner, stone soap (available at hardware stores or from your stone dealer) or a mild liquid dishwashing detergent and warm water.
- Do not use products that contain lemon, vinegar or other acids on marble or limestone.
- Do not use scouring powders or creams as these products contain abrasives that may scratch the surface.
- To remove soap scum, use a non-acidic soap scum remover or a solution of ammonia and water (about one cup ammonia to a gallon of water).
- Preferred Surfaces applies a 15-year sealer on all countertops that is non-toxic and safe for use on food preparation surfaces. If there are questions, check with the sealer manufacturer.
What are my options when selecting a countertop surface?
At Preferred Surfaces, we have the largest granite inventory in the state of West Virginia with 500 slabs to choose from. You can stop by at any time to take a look at the slabs which are located outside behind our building. A lot of times you can find a tag on the side of the slab to make note of a piece you really like. Give us a call during the week to check availability and discuss your next project.